Is it a good choice to become a Software Developer? In case you were wondering about it, we are here to cover the most important aspects you may want to consider to see if it's the right fit for you, keep reading below.
The basics If you love solving problems through analytical thinking, and enjoy a good challenge, becoming a software developer could be a path worth adventuring in. This career also requires a good spirit for innovation, and constant skill updating, as technology becomes ever more a market of fast growth.
Basically, a Software Developer is a professional who builds software systems and applications for a computer device, in order to solve real-world problems. Advocates for digital products creation, maintenance, and improvement.
The daily tasks of a Software Developer include:
- Designing and maintaining software systems
- Evaluating and testing new software programs
- Optimizing software for speed and scalability
- Writing and testing code
- Consulting with clients, engineers, security specialists, and other stakeholders
- Presenting new features to stakeholders and internal customers
Is it a good choice to become a Software Developer in 2022?
Because we are living in a digital native era, where most businesses and industries are automating more and more their business process and customer experience, a software developer has become more crucial than ever before.
Regardless of the market you want to work in, sports, health, education, entertainment, food, etc, it is very likely they need software developers.
This scenario is expected to grow in the coming years, so becoming a software developer might be the most sustainable job of our generation among others inside the tech industry. To get to know more about the market growth stats click here.
Another perk about this career is the location flexibility, you may find yourself working for a company, and living in another state or even country, travel plans are not a work limitation anymore, as long as you deliver your projects and stick to your deadlines, it will work.
Last but not least, the position as a software developer pays well, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, as for 2020 the median annual salary of a software developer was approximately $110.100, but we must keep in mind this number shifts in other countries.
Profile / The path to becoming a software developer
Most job applications require a level of certification to validate your skills, here we pinpoint a few things you must keep in mind while looking for a great program certification:
- The importance of figuring out what industry you'd like to work in, sports, health, development, etc.
- What role looks appealing to you? Frontend developer? Backend developer? Full-stack developer?
- Once you have that clear, find out what skills the role demands
- How much time are you willing to dedicate to your learning path?
- Finally, look for the certification that fulfills your expectations: time-based, skills knowledge you are looking for that particular position and drives you to practice a lot and build a strong portfolio so at the end of your program you have a solid foundation to apply to your dream job, most popular online portfolios include: GitHub, Behance, and LinkedIn Pages.
Pro-tip: most job applications value a proven GitHub portfolio or another repository.
Are you ready?
If you still have doubts, we summarized here a general skills profile most software developer roles require:
- Logical thinking
- Strong communication skills
- Time management
- Data structure algorithms
- Source Control
- Text Editors
So I have two questions for you, are you a passionate problem solver, logical thinker, and fan of technology? Are you looking for a fresh start or an upgrade to your current career?
If so, click here and check out our programs and certifications (: